Garlic Naan

I love chicken tikka masala. For awhile, I loved going to a restaurant and ordering it. Simple, easy, no effort. But I've gotten more adventurous with my cooking and baking over the past few years, and I started making chicken tikka masala at home. And I love it. But I hate using store bought naan, or driving to the Indian food restaurant to buy just naan and nothing else. So I decided I would make some of my own! I used Budget Bytes Homemade Naan Bread recipe and it turned out amazing!
Garlic Naan with Cilantro
All my ingredients ready to roll!
Dough baby
Naan Bubbles!
Ingredients: 
2 tsp dry active yeast
1 tsp sugar
1/2 c water
2 1/2 - 3 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c olive oil
1/3 c plain yogurt (I used plain Greek yogurt)
1 large egg

Instructions:
Preparing the Dough
1. Combine the yeast, sugar, and water in a small bowl and stir it to dissolve the sugar. Let it sit until it becomes frothy, usually just a few minutes.
2. Whisk in the oil, yogurt, and egg
3. In a separate bowl, combine 1 c of the flour with the salt. Pour the wet ingredients on top of this, and mix until it's combined. Add flour (1/2 c at a time) until you can no longer stir it with a spoon. I ended up using about 3 c total
4. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for a few minutes, adding flour as necessary. The dough should form a smooth, soft ball and should not be sticky
5. Cover the dough with a dish towel and let rise for about 1 hour, until it's doubled in size

Cooking the Naan
1. After your dough has doubled in size, divide into 8 equal pieces and form each piece into a rounded ball
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. You want to use a heavy bottomed skillet for this--I used my cast iron, because I love it, and will use it for any and every thing possible!
3. Only prep one ball of dough at a time to achieve the best rise. Roll the ball out as flat as you can get. (The recipe I followed asked for 1/4" thickness, but I got the best results with a super flat dough. Play around with it and see what works best for you!) Place your dough-disc on the hot skillet and cook it like a pancake--wait for those big beautiful bubbles before you flip it!
4. Once large bubbles form, you can flip your naan. Cook until golden brown on both sides. The time for this will vary based on the heat of your skillet, so make sure you keep an eye on it. Once one naan is done, roll out your next and repeat these steps again.

OPTIONAL: I made garlic butter and brushed it on the naan once it finished cooking, then sprinkled some cilantro over the top. Amazingly delicious, but not necessary. But definitely recommended.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Post and a Bread Obsession

Flashback Friday