Ginger Soy Salmon

I have some family in Alaska. For Christmas this year, they sent us all kinds of goodies. Meats and fish galore, and I was so excited to cook with the salmon! The fiance and I have recently started eating salmon... a lot. I've been generally opposed to fish for as long as I can remember, but I've started to come around. I started with catfish (fried, duh), moved on to tilapia, and then eventually salmon. My favorite recipe is one that I got from my mom, comes together super quickly after a long day of work, and has a short cook time.

Ginger Soy Salmon with zucchini noodles
You know what's fun about salmon that doesn't come from a big chain grocery store? Bones. Millions of tiny, thin bones in the stinky little fish. Okay maybe not millions, but it sure seemed like it. Have you ever de-boned a fish? Because I hadn't, and had to wash my fish germ hands and do some internet searching. The internet concluded that I needed some needle nose pliers, but the fiance did not think they were food-clean, so I settled for tweezers. Yepp. Eyebrow plucking, tiny, slippery tweezers.
After pulling all of the slippery little bones out--with TWEEZERS. whyyyyy
It was a process, but honestly wasn't too bad! Anyway, on to the good stuff, the recipe:

Ingredients:
Salmon (as much as you're going to eat. you can alter the sauce* amount based on the amount of fish you have)
1/4 c soy sauce
1 tbsp sriracha
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
2-4 cloves of garlic, minced (use more or less depending on your own taste, we tend to over-garlic things because WE. LOVE. IT)
1 tbsp grated ginger (I go the easy route and use the pre-made kind in the tube)

Cook time: 10-12 minutes
Oven temp: 400F

1. Place the salmon skin side down in your baking dish/cookie sheet.
2. Whisk together all the ingredients except for the salmon in a small bowl
3. Do a taste test! If it's too spicy, add some more honey. If you want to up the heat, add more sriracha or sweet chili sauce. Make it taste like you want it, these measurements are approximate.
4. Pour the sauce over the salmon
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes
6. Broil for 2-3 minutes

Voila! The salmon is done and is swimming in a beautifully salty, sweet, and spicy sauce that has slightly caramelized from the broiler. Serve with something green and something starchy if you want! My favorite thing to pair this with jasmine rice and broccoli, both tossed with the sauce. Since it's the new year, I've been feeling healthy though, so I paired it with....
Z O O D L E S
I hope you enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*I almost always double the sauce ingredients. I love this dish over rice with broccoli, so I like to have extra sauce to mix in with all of my sides.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garlic Naan

First Post and a Bread Obsession

Flashback Friday