The Muffins

Bananas ✅
Chocolate chips ✅
Magic ✅

These muffins have been my best friend and favorite breakfast since college. They are deliciously magical, keep me full all morning, make a fantastic snack, and make you lots of friends if you share them. They are my go-to recipe when I forgot about the bananas I bought during last week's grocery trip, and I will even buy bananas to let them go brown sometimes just so I can make these babies!

I got the recipe from "The Healthy College Cookbook: Quick. Cheap. Easy." (which is a great name, by the way) I've used and overused this recipe through the years and it has never disappointed.

Prep Time: ~10m
Bake Time: 25m
Makes about 12 muffins

Ingredients
1c sugar
1/2c vegetable shortening (I use butter flavored Crisco. I know, so healthy, right?)
2c all-purpose flour
2 eggs
3 large (or 5 small) overly ripe bananas, mashed
1tsp baking soda
1tsp baking powder
1/2tsp salt
2/3c mini chocolate chips

Directions
1. Cream together the sugar and shortening, and add 1tbsp of flour
2. Beat the eggs in 1 at a time
3. Set aside 1/2c flour for later
4. Add the remaining flour and mashed banana to the creamed mixture
5. Add the baking soda, baking powder, and salt to the reserved 1/2c of flour. Add the chocolate chips and stir to coat before adding the dry mixture into the wet mixture
6. Stir your batter well before pouring it into a greased muffin tin. You can use muffin tin liners if you want, but I'm a huge fan of the naked muffins.
7. Bake for 25 minutes--I use my cake tester stick to test if they're done or not. You can adjust the time more or less depending on how full your muffin tin is. I like to overfill and make giant fat muffin top muffins so I am always doing a solid 25-28 minute bake. Keep an eye on them so they don't get too browned!
8. TRY NOT TO EAT ALL OF THEM AT ONCE. But really, eat one when they're warm straight from the oven. It's going to be one of the best experiences of your life. Then eat another one. Then eat them for lunch. Then eat them for dinner. Share them with your friends, share them with your friends' friends, have your fiance take them to work, keep them all for yourself. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garlic Naan

First Post and a Bread Obsession

Flashback Friday